I started this quilt over a year ago using the Simply Silly pattern on Moda Bake Shop. I had thought I might give it to a friend having a baby, but I never got around to quilting it. I was a little hesitant to do FMQ. Since I joined the FMQ challenge this year, I thought I’d put this quilt on the list of ones to practice on.
Of course, now that I decided I need this quilt done ASAP that meant it would be straight line quilting instead of Free-Motion. I just didn’t have the time to practice, pull out stitches and quilt it multiple times. I’m really pleased with how it turned out anyway. I think this is a great little gender neutral quilt.
Here’s a close up. The circles were left raw edge to give them that fun fuzzy raggy feel. I quilted some of the blocks with diagonal lines and some with nested squares.
I’ve been working on another quilt for baby. I’ve just got the top done but I’m excited about how it’s turning out. The fabric is from the Froggin’ line by Sue Zipkin. I’ve been wanting to do the Oh My Stars! quilt along but just haven’t had the time, so I used 2 of the stars from that quilt along for this quilt. In each of the 4 corners is a Nested star and the rest are the basic sawtooth star.
My Star quilt with lovely quilt model, Cora
The pieced border is 4 inch squares. On the long sides I had to trim a couple of blocks to make the border fit the way I wanted. Next up I need to actually quilt this one. I’m not sure if I’ll get that done before or after Jr gets here.
After finishing the diaper bag, I kept looking at my scraps and thinking “I need to use those!” I’ve wanted to make a matching changing pad but I didn’t want to buy more fabric and I didn’t think I had enough of the Dr. Seuss fabric to make any of the ones I’d looked at. I was catching up on some blog reading and I stumbled across this lovely little quilt at Quokka Quilts using the same Lorax panels. It’s so cute and love how she offset the panels so they are a little wonky. But, I only had 6 panels left, not really enough for a whole quilt, and I didn’t think I had enough contrast fabric and definitely didn’t have any backing. As I looked at it, I thought I could do that on a changing pad!
I started looking for a pattern. I really liked this one at Cluck Cluck Sew with the pocket for the wipes and diapers but I’d have to buy some fabric for it. I really liked the idea of using the vinyl like in this one at Homemade by Jill. I had some red polka dot laminated cotton in my stash that would match the Dr. Seuss fabric really well, but Jill’s pattern didn’t have the pocket.
Of course, I can’t leave well enough alone, and I can’t just use one pattern. That would never do! So I combined them, sort of. I put my panels together like in Quokka’s quilt.
I added some additional contrast fabric and some extra length to Cluck Cluck Sew’s because I didn’t want the panels to be part of the pocket.
The wipes/diaper pocket
I used 2 pieces of fusible flannel like in Jill’s. Also from Jill’s I used the laminated cotton and the double fold bias tape. I didn’t fold the pocket over until after adding the bias tape to the entire piece.
The Inside for changing baby
At the very end, I added some velcro so that it would be easy to close quickly. I think it turned out really cute!
Rolled up and closed like a clutch
I’m so excited to be all coordinating now!