I haven’t been able to sew for a while after straining the ligaments in my hand golfing back in March. But this weekend, I finally got to sit down at the sewing machine.
I had a hard time deciding what I wanted to work, but in the end, I decided to pull out this UFO/WIP that had been calling my name. I started this quilt along in January of 2011. I stopped before I even got the blocks together. I was unhappy with how my seams were lining up. Then last fall, I decided to pick it up again because after all, I was doing this as an exercise to build my skill. I knew when I started it wouldn’t be perfect. So after convincing myself that it was okay to proceed without ripping out a bunch of seams, I finished over half the blocks. Then life got in the way, and it has sat, in progress since then.
Yesterday, I picked it up again, finished all the blocks and tried to pick a layout. I posted before here and here on my theories and dilemma’s with using 2 different solids (black and white) in this process. So yesterday I auditioned a couple of layouts.
I like option 1 but I just wasn’t sure, so I pulled out some sketches I’d made for how to layout this quilt , and tried a different layout. It was perfect. So here’s the completed top
Here’s another view, not as easy to see because the sun’s coming in the window behind the quilt.
I’m pleased with how it turned out. I don’t think that it’s overly obvious that my seams aren’t as accurate as I wanted. I learned so much over the course of this project and my seam skills are so much better now. Mostly I’m proud that I picked this back up and finished the top. Now I just need to pick a backing material and quilt it. I’m hoping I can quilt it on my machine and not have to send it to the LA.
The good news is that sewing didn’t hurt my hand. Yeah!! I’m hoping that I don’t have to go back in a brace next week when I go in for a follow up. At least for now, I can sew!